A+ A A-

Glenfield Progress Boot & Shoe: A history

The Glenfield Progress Boot & Shoe started in 1892. On August 26, the first General Meeting was held. It was then called "Glenfield Co-operative Boot & Shoe Manufacturing Soc. Ltd. At a later meeting it was decided to open a banking account at the Co-Op Wholesale at Balloon Street, Manchester. Funds in hand amounted to £51.00. By September 19th a decision was made to add the word "Progress" to the name of the Society.
The Company continued to grow and in 1893 a new factory was built in Station Road, Glenfield, and was completed by the end of June 1896. It was formally opened on June 13th.
During 1897 the Committee were intent on installing machinery in the new factory, power production taking place of hand worked machines.
For the Queens Jubilee in 1897, the Society paid for a tea party for the village children and donated £20.00 for a village recreation ground. During this year the hours of labour were reduced to fifty two and a half hours per week.
During 1901, The Glenfield Distributive Society was transferred to the Glenfield Boot Society. From the year 1901, the Society continued to grow, not by plunging into speculation or the promotion of daring schemes, but by steady regular progress, arising from skilful handling of business details to their required market.

External links are provided for reference purposes. Glenfield Online is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Site Design and hosting by VTSDesign Web Services All rights reserved.

Login or Register



User Registration
or Cancel